|Home...The Pale Blue Dot|
I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
Vapor in the wind
|Phrase #'d by Brown during his twitter tirade|
- Women in pop are asked to be role models all too often, when they're not preachers or politicians – and this annoys me because men in similar positions aren't asked to do the same.
- It's easy, of course, to cast judgement on people's private lives. It's also easy to imagine Rihanna's irritation at being tagged, forever, as a victim of domestic violence. What's much tougher to get around is the way in which Chris Brown's assault, before the 2009 Grammys, seems to be publicity fuel.
- (re: some of Rihanna's song lyrics) – this is sex as disengaged performance, not as a powerful statement.
It's this last sentence that just guts me. Not because I'm a young woman, but because I'm raising one.
- It's not just an image of violence as glamour, inked into the skin. It's the memory of an assault as a fashion accessory. And knowing so many people don't think that there's anything wrong with this – young women, especially – troubles me beyond measure.
We know that men can be victims of domestic violence. On average, though, more women than men suffer domestic abuse, and younger women in particular (those between the ages of 20-24) are at highest risk of nonfatal intimate partner violence. In fact, 85% of domestic violence victims are women.
According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence:
- One in every four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime.
- Females are most often victimized by someone they know.
- Nearly 1/3 of female homicide victims are killed by an intimate partner.
- In nearly 80% of intimate partner homicides, no matter which partner is killed, the man physically abused the woman before the murder.
This abuse occurs every day and likely to a woman you know. And it exacts a toll. Monetarily (exceeding $5.8 billion each year (as of 2003)) and in so many other, immeasurable, ways.Contact information for the National Domestic Violence Hotline is 1-800-799-7233.
|Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying. |
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Under Reddit logic, outing Violentacrez is worse than anonymously posting creepshots of innocent women, because doing so would undermine Reddit's role as a safe place for people to anonymously post creepshots of innocent women.Yeah, no. Reddit's just not for me.
What I'm getting at here is that poker no longer seems to be fun. It's not as fun for the players, it's not as fun for the media, and it's not as fun for the fans. The latter of that trio is the most important part and something that needs attention.
|What is it today?|
|Trevi Fountain, Italy|
|Wonder Woman, aka @WriterJen|