Friday, January 7, 2011

The Loss of a Friend



Pythagoras asks that we not let a friend go lightly, for whatever reason.  
Instead, we should stay with a friend as long as we can, until we're 
compelled to abandon him completely against our will.  It's a serious thing to 
toss away money, but to cast aside a person is even more serious.  
Nothing in human life is more rarely found, nothing more dearly possessed.  
No loss is more chilling or more dangerous than that of a friend.
Thomas Moore (1779 - 1852)

Divorce sucks. 

And sometimes it's easy for people to forget that when couples become friends with other couples, it can be really hard for the couple left standing to be in the middle...to pick sides...

I've never been very good at picking sides.  Besides, 15 years is a long time to know someone.  You see a lot of good and bad in that amount of time and being friends means that, generally, you deal with the bad and always just try to see the best in your friends (knowing that your own bad is not fun for friends to deal with).

I think I'm a very loyal person.  That's why when you ask me to pick a side in this debacle, I can't do it.  I love both equally.  And I always will.  The good and the bad.

So, you can ignore a 15 year friendship and pretend it no longer exists because you don't want to get to the truth of what really happened, why I gave the "advice" that I gave, and how it is that I know the things that I know. You know there are always two sides to every story.  It's sad that you don't want to hear my side, but it's ok...I haven't cast you aside.  And I never will.

You may have cast us aside, for now, but we'll be here whenever you're ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...